Gregory A. Hall


IMMEDIATELY report all serious injuries to your supervisor.If you have suffered a traumatic injury file a Form CA-1.If you have suffered an occupational illness, then file a Form CA-2.

Obtain current OWCP forms at http://www.dol.gov/esa/owcp/dfec/regs/compliance/forms.htm

When submitting documentation, either to the OWCP or your employing agency, you need to prove that you actually submitted it, so keep a date stamped copy or some other type of receipt, such as a fax confirmation.

If you are hurt on the job, you have the RIGHT to choose your own doctor.Choosing your own doctor is in some ways the most critical choice you make in terms of advancing your OWCP claim. Having a doctor you trust is critical. Your doctor decides whether your injury is work-related and how serious it is. Moreover, if the OWCP sends you to a second opinion or referee examination, it is only your doctor who is in a position to respond to the OWCP’s doctors. Management cannot dictate which doctor you see for treatment, nor does management have a legal right to speak with your doctor without your permission.

If you receive treatment at an emergency room, when you are released insist on choosing your own doctor.Management, or the emergency room staff, may try to steer or force you to see a contract doctor or clinic. These doctors or clinics are under contract with the employing agency. Do not let this happen, do not accept the referral, but instead insist on picking your own doctor.

If you are able to return to work with restrictions, then you need to have your doctor complete a work restriction OWCP Form 5a, 5b, or 5c.In addition, have your employing agency prepare a Form CA-17 for your doctor’s consideration.The CA-17 describes your usual work activities and management is required to complete “Side A” of the form.Once “Side A” has been completed, make sure it is accurate. If it is accurate, then take it to your doctor who then then should complete ALL items on “Side B” of Form CA-17.

If your injury is serious and you have problems returning to work after a few weeks, then you should seek legal counsel from a federal workers’ comp attorney: http://www.federalworkerscomplawyer.com

Gregory A. Hall
A Federal Workers’ Comp Attorney
3570 E. 12th Avenue, Suite 200
Denver, CO 80206
Phone: 303-320-0584
Email: gregory@federallaw.com

For more information about the OWCP claims process, read the Injury Compensation for Federal Employees Publication CA-810 which you can find at: http://www.dol.gov/esa/owcp/dfec/regs/compliance/DFECfolio/agencyhb.pdf

Recent Posts

FREE 15-minute telephone consultation


Related Posts

Contact Gregory

Please complete short form below with your contact details and a brief description of your legal issue – we will follow up with you as soon as we can.

What type of legal matter are you interested in discussing with Gregory?
Could you please describe your legal matter in more detail so Gregory can better understand how he may be able to help you?